What story will you bring to the tapestry?

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Character Switch
Name
Pass
News
Events

Share | 

Winter Forage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Kodiak

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:47 pm

"Rut?" He stopped and blinked, glancing over his shoulder at her. The corners of his mouth tugged upwards as he didn't quite think she meant Ben hunting him down for the rut first, instead imagining Ben's fort as some sort of bizzare mating ritual, in which the most impressive snow castle won. "No, it's sort of like...well, a friendly attack. A companion thing."

Shoot. She seemed to have a very strong, very instinctual mindset, the concept of harming or pretend-harming each other as a game might not connect to her. "It's sort of like...have you ever seen a hunter smack his dog on the side without being angry or upset? Something like that. Just horsing around. Er, rough play. Like young horses. We don't actually mean to cause each other harm."

He fell silent for a second, before adding mischievously, a grin on his face. "I don't think Ben is interested in rutting at all. When we're in town, he'll snap or growl at pretty girls that try to talk or touch him. But then again, he doesn't like the city in general. 'Sensory overload', he says."

He pointed off in the direction of the city. It had never bothered him- he enjoyed it, actually. The opposite of Ben. "What about you? Ever been there? I could show you around if you're...let's use the word of the day. Bored."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

Job/hobbies : Star-gazing, People watching

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:22 pm

Concerning ruts, she was still giving off that pleasant scent, that signal of her availability that was rather unknown to her. She had missed out on it, relatively, partially by her own knowledge to stay far away from the testosterone-fueled scatterbrained bucks and unkind does as much as possible. She was only a candidate for the young and inexperienced, the ones whose only chance against the bigger bucks is to slip past while he was distracted fighting off another, but even that was far fetched.

When she had asked about it with Ben and Zhaki, she was suggesting that perhaps Ben was staking out his territory for these reasons, that Zhaki was a rival he was watching carefully and bound to leap out and chase away at any moment. Or as Zhaki confirmed, this was a play time, a practice of battle that younger predators, and some prey as he pointed out, do. Her ears folded backwards for a time before they were forward and alert again. To hear that Ben would snap at females was concerning as she tried to relate it to other creatures. Perhaps he is of the solitary sort that only came together to procreate and then they were loners once again, not unusual, but she hadn't seen any like him with such a pattern.

She blinked and looked where Zhaki pointed. The village she had only seen from a hill top, noting the different and interesting things that went on down there, like the contraptions paraded about, but not in so much detail. Faereni was perhaps more like Ben in this case, perfectly understanding sensory overload, though she didn't know what it meant exactly. The crowds would be too much for her, the sudden pops and clamors would startle her poor heart and she'd likely spend most of it running blindly away. A shake of her head, letting the curls tangle themselves in the bone that jutted from her skull. "No deer."

It would be suicide to go where the hunters and predators made their dens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:18 pm

He shrugged at her refusal, having a sort of understanding why she would. Sure, it was loud, crowded and full of clamor at all points of the day, but he supposed kinds like her and Ben- those who considered themselves more wild than civil, were built more animal than humanoid would find it a dangerous haunt. Himself?

"That's the difference between you and Ben and I, then." He stopped and looked around, scoping out a nice place to sit. Try as he might, a bit of bitterness had begun to creep into his voice, his tail flickering back and forth and his ears swiveling around, more alert.

"You and Ben- you two look enough like the folks down there in cities and villages that they would accept you fine. Heck, they would welcome you just for your faces! But you're also enough animal that you can still call yourself that- truly, that is." He paused his search to take a better look at her. "Ears, tail, antlers, and fur. I have three of those things that resemble an animal, I'm still as much predator as you could be prey, but you know what? I'm just a man."

"Even less, maybe..." He didn't show her, but he felt them there without touching them, just as one would know where and what they were feeling on an arm or a leg. Scar tissue, not only marring his back in ways that would suggest he'd been beaten relentlessly over a long period of time, but his wrists as well, lighter than the rest of his skin and rough. He knew what they were without remembering how they got there. Cuff marks, hidden carefully by his sleeves to avoid being mistaken as a current slave. "It's just a matter of preference for someone like Ben, but me? There's no way I could call myself an animal for any reason. I see too much value in currency, give and take, exchange, things like that." Again, a point to the village.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:00 am

She stopped when he did, catching the slight dip in his mood as expressed in voice. Her curiosity piqued, attention briefly turning to the mound where Ben was still lying in wait, the suspense building up to the point it will likely suddenly be forgotten by her before long-- dooming her like some other idiotic doe that would be shot amid her herd. She reached up and pulled down one of her dust-brown ears, letting it shoot back into position as her hand continued with fingers getting twisted into the cotton candy pink curls on the way down to her shoulders.

Fuchsia eyes averted their gaze as though he had just shamed her, hearing him out as he explained himself. Perhaps for the first time, to his ears, she spoke a complete though broken sentence: "Far from herd... why... only him?"

Okay, so it was a two in one... but she was trying, which was much more than could normally be said. She sidled slightly, a little uneasy from the tension in the air, likely only felt and caused by her mentality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:34 am

Zhaki's confusion seemed to take a bit of the mood off his shoulders, once again blinking a little slower than usual as he ran through her words a few times, trying to see which meaning (and taking account for any mistakes that might have been made) fit best.

"Who, Ben? Alone? Well, if he wants a pack, he hasn't made it known to me, or gone searching for one as far as I know. He seems pretty alright just eating and rolling around in whatever happens to be on the ground. Pretty simple-minded, you can bribe him into most things for a bottle of fruit juice."

Ben had actually fallen asleep curled up in his fort, flicking his ear a bit every now and then in response to some annoying dream. He wasn't- as Zhaki had stated- interested in a pack or even finding out where he came from. He didn't even give much thought to what he was. It wasn't that he couldn't, the wolfman wasn't stupid by any means. Rather, he had already given what he considered 'adequate' thinking. His civil, complicated thoughts gave his wilder thoughts too much trouble, and vice versa. Who was he? Where did he come from? He followed his wilder thoughts, which did not care. When would the next rut be? Where could he find females? He followed his civil thoughts, who did not care about attractive wolf honeys or competing males. It didn't matter to him if he was alone now, or now, or now, or now. Or, if he had a companion, not unless he got some benefit from it. His only mutual want from his two sides were food, shelter, water, and comfort, so those he thought about mostly, with no extra fuss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:57 pm

"You," she corrected meekly. At some point in his explanation she had crept closer, shortening the gap by a few dainty paces. She wasn't as confused about Ben's reasoning for being out here without a pack as Zhaki explained, she and him were more alike when it came to being at home here in the elements. Sure, they would more than likely be accepted by the villagers, they likely weren't the only ones with physical traits of an animal, but that sensory overload as Ben had called it was a very real thing.

There was also the fact that Faereni wasn't just an antlered doe of a girl. Her coloring was off, her eyes held stars still unseen from the distance she kept. Her voice was too ethereal. She appeared as something far more rare and valuable than she actually was, like some white stag mentioned in fables.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Zhaki brought his hand up to his chin and rubbed along his jawline, up over his eyes and nose and finally back down his nose and chin, sighing before settling it back on his jaw. He shrugged slightly.

"'Far from herd' indeed! Haven't found anyone that looks like my own kind yet, or Ben thinks smells like the same kind. I did just appear here after all...at least, I hope that's the case if I'm in this situation, wouldn't it be terrible if I was just an amnesic with a herd somewhere out there?"

He pointed at the ground, looking up at her and sitting down, gesturing her to do the same. He lowered his voice as he continued. "Honestly though, I'm more taking watch of Ben. His calmer state is fragile, if he gets too hungry, he gets violent. Too thirsty, violent. Injured? Violent. It doesn't take much to draw out the beast in him. Even still, I know he wouldn't follow it close enough to stay away from civil settlements. I don't know what he might do should a random mood strike him. Wouldn't it be wrong not to stay near him and keep him calm when he likes me enough to listen?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:55 pm

(Sorry! I went away and planned to post while on my trip but that obviously never happened!)

Her mouth twisted ever so slightly, unsure if he had understood her the same as what she meant. He might have, his answer was indeed an answer... though it didn't feel like a match. She gave a slow blink as he tried to get her to sit down, something her prey instincts were simply not going to allow at this point, not while there were things in hiding (even if those things were sleeping). He also did not paint a very secure image for her as he described his friend. Large furry spades twitched at the side of her head, taking everything into consideration. Her brow wrinkled and smoothed as she processed. As she understood it, Zhaki wanted to be closer to civilization and its comforts but also felt more pack-ish with Ben given their similarities and an obligation to keep him calm, as he could get a bit unhinged even for a predator, she supposed. Her eyes fluttered and she found herself still confused. Perhaps observing would be the only way to go on this.

Her gaze went toward the direction of the village and its red roofs, the exposed timber framing creating dark lines against white. It was noticeable and vibrant to her, to all of them who knew not to brave it. Some creatures were a little more adventurous, like mice and rats, but a deer could not necessarily scurry through town without getting very noticed. In truth, unknown to her and her herd there were smaller groups of deer that lived in villages roaming petting zoos and the like freely without fear of hunters. The closest she had of that was joining the cows as they grazed. Hunters wouldn't risk shooting a cow, or their horse.

She turned her attention back to the mound Ben slept behind/in and finally back to Zhaki. "What then?"

It seemed a little out of the blue, and the subjects too vast to consider-- but perhaps that was the point. With her it could be all of them at once for all he could guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:12 am

(No worries, I've been a bit occupied too lately)

He'd tilted his head as he noticed her thinking, looking up at her from his now vulnerable spot on the ground. Sure, he didn't think she would act aggressively towards him, especially not after conversing a bit, but he couldn't help his eyes from carefully noting what he assumed would be powerful legs to pack a powerful kick, and sharp antlers to...

His thoughts were interrupted as he saw her glance at Ben, and did the same. Nothing new, not even a shift in position to draw attention to himself. He'd teased the man before about him sleeping like a rock, simply plopping down anywhere and staying perfectly still for the rest of his short but frequent naps. In a bit, he would wake rather irked by their voices- specifically Zhaki's lower, less pleasant one than his conversation partner- and lumber off to find a quieter place to take his thirteenth catnap of the day.

"After what? He dies or something?" He grinned a bit uneasily, his gaze flicking back to her feet. It wasn't that he didn't trust her, but rather sitting on the ground so near a more animalistic minded person's best defense (or at least, he assumed they were) was enough to make anyone wary. Scooting back a foot or two, he continued. "Depends, if you mean if I ever shake him off? Get a job, rent a room to sleep at night, maybe even start some sort of business. If you mean then as in the near future...Well, try to convince Ben to come along with me, do the same or something similar."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Conversing was rather difficult. It wasn't something she had a lot of practice with, though she had been able to piece together some decent responses and questions, enough so that a talk could carry if for a short while. Here it had run out of steam, or more particularly she had become at a loss on how to push it further and simply made those same gears-in-motion reactions as she processed his words, his goals for the future or what he'd like them to be.

She turned her attention once more to Ben, the wrench in his plans. Curiosity wanted to hear his side of this conversation. Memory reminded her that he was a little more of a danger than his friend who... scooted away from her. Her brows raised at that, finding it a strange reaction. Her lips settled in a thin and simple line for the longest time, mulling over words to utter.

"How?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Still no movement from Ben as Zhaki followed her gaze back to the pile he slept inside, as expected of the wolfman. Giving a loose estimate? About fifteen minutes before he woke up, and thirty before he took another nap, keeping an odd sleep schedule that reduced the likelihood that he could be attacked by something larger in his sleep (or allow Zhaki his full night's rest if he stayed to guard him.)

"You know, if he just ate and took a nap, you could probably hit him and he wouldn't care much." He looked back at her, almost certain she would never approach him, but bringing it up anyways. "Especially since he binged last night. Besides, he wouldn't even consider touching you if he thought I enjoyed speaking to you, he's like that."

He hadn't answered her question of 'how', avoiding it purposely. Did she mean how would he shake Ben off? A small, worming feeling squirmed in his chest, making him bite his lip slightly. Could he even shake his partner off? Surely, the wolfman wouldn't give it much fuss, or even thought for that matter, but the thought of simply leaving the large, scruffy man gave him an odd sense of guilt and a bit of disturbance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 pm

There was an appalled look on her face when he suggested she could or even want to run up and smack a predator while it slept like some extreme ding-dong-ditch. Even as a fawn she had never been that adventurous, that brave, that foolish. The horror of that alone effectively made her disregard the fact that he didn't answer her question. She closed her mouth.

But that also meant they were in a little bit of dead air again, which was in one sense fine with her. She was certainly capable of enjoying company without speaking, being what she was. Like a fine doubled edge sword though, extended quiet also raised tensions and nervousness in certain situations. While she was becoming acquainted with Zhaki for conversation, she wasn't near ready to consider them party members in an adventure. She shifted in place, those ears flicking in response to some minor bugs and their usual harassment before she suddenly drifted, taking a chance at chewing on some tasty bush she saw just paces off. He had, after all, assured her that Ben wasn't going to chase her again... be it because he simply wouldn't or because he was going to be asleep for a little while longer. While the trust was limited, it was growing. She trusted Zhaki would know about his pack-mate... but she was still considering the prospect of elaborate staging, though unlikely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Her look of horror at the thought of hitting Ben made him grin in unexpected satisfaction, glad to have evoked some slightly stronger emotion from her than her chill demeanor. Ben would most certainly not enjoy it if either of them tried, but wouldn't do much else but growl or drag himself off a few paces to continue his nap. If they were able to approach him in his light sleep, that is.

His satisfaction quickly turned to amusement, however, as she trailed off and began eating some foliage, ears pricking up as he leaned a bit to see her eat it. "I can't imagine eating something like that! How is it to you?" Of course, it must have been normal to her, since she seemed to have no hesitation in her choice, but he could still almost taste the bitterness on the tip of his tongue from the time Ben had dared him to eat part of a random evergreen they had come across.

He grabbed his bag and dug through it, pulling out a shiny red fruit. "Why don't we trade? I'll try that, and I'll give you an apple."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Her ears twitched and her head swiveled to give him her attention again, staring alert that way deer do when they've noticed something. Her height exaggerated though she did very little to rise higher than she already were, ever poised on her toes as though her feet had been molded that way, designed by nature for her heels to be airborne. Her hands were still harvesting the bush, reaching in and expertly plucking particular, smooth leaves from it. There wasn't much to the smell of it, a rather unassuming plant but pickings were slim until the plants felt the time was right to start producing their own fruits and flowers, just in time to fatten them all back up.

In truth it likely wouldn't taste like anything to him, in the very least it wouldn't be sour-- as sour things were nature's way of telling the foragers not to continue. She knew what an apple was, and she knew she was getting the better end of the deal here. Approaching him with the handful of leaves she held them out with a tentative hand, and for the first time was close enough for him to see the oddest detail of her yet-- the stars in her eyes easily displaying constellations connected with thin white lines. They moved, even, as the sky turned above them but at a pace that was so slow one could think they were imagining it. In truth, it was just an odd cosmetic trait of hers, much like the color of her skin/fur. Something for the lore books to be blown out of proportion, or something to fetch high dollar at market for the coin-minded traders.

There was a tension in her breath, a poise in her feet that suggested she was ready to leap if he betrayed her now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:13 pm

The look of continued satisfaction on his face dropped as he reached out for the branches and looked directly at her face, his gaze caught in her starry eyes, having trouble escaping. Astonishment would be too weak a word for his sudden stupor, his eyes locked on hers, ears pricked up and frozen in action. If he hadn't been in such a vulnerable position- sitting at her feet, legs folded under his heavy bag, arm extended- she might have felt threatened by his sudden stillness.

This he realized, and quickly broke eye contact, taking the branches and putting the apple in her same hand. Her sweet scent, odd coloring and surreal, 'almost' otherwordly eyes had more than captivated the young man. She was someone he would have liked to have as his company awhile longer. Much, much longer.

"Have you ever seen yourself anywhere but water's reflection?" He mumbled, turning his face up to look at her again. However, rather than continue with a fluffy comment or a bashful compliment, there was a grim, serious, "You should be careful, more careful of men than beasts. There are a lot of men out there more desperate for money than myself, and lacking the morals to pair with it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:02 am

The deer-girl didn't move so long as he remained so still, the aforementioned tension in silence building steadily before he snapped back to the present and exchanged their meals. She blinked, brow making that slight pinch in the middle as she questioned his random statement. No, she hadn't seen herself in anything but water and that certainly wasn't the best mirror for details, and she had never really paid attention to it either, only visiting water sources to drink, cross, and sometime swim. His warning came from random air as well to her, though would have been received just as effectively if he had complimented her instead, with her stood a renewed step or two away from him to turn the apple in her hands, inspecting it lightly before taking a bite with a most satisfactory crunch, but before she completed the bite she sucked inward to drink the juice. One point toward her humanity, as most animals would have made the apple a foamy sticky mess around their mouths.

Each bite took a long and animated time to chew. Grazing had put her and many other foragers at peace, enough so that they were vulnerable as they forgot the world around them, her eyes gaining heavy lids and ears lowered, though still turning at random intervals as something deep inside still fretted over her continued life despite taking a backseat to her current activity.

Then briefly, she returned to reality as well: "Morals?"

Money had also been a questionable point in his statement, but she had asked that before and still didn't get it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:28 am

His sudden melancholy was lifted away as she took the apple, noting the way she ate without making a mess. Better, he supposed, but he already considered her something like Ben, those with a mind more between man and beast than anything. He turned to the half of the trade in his own hand, the smooth leaves he had watched her pick.

And he ate them. Sort of.

Just as the last time he had eaten any leaves off a tree, he didn't bother with tasting a smaller piece of it first, instead taking a whole leaf in his mouth and holding it there for awhile. That itself was enough to make his own eyebrows draw closer, the edge of the leaf and the top-smooth, rough bottomed surfaces of it odd against his tongue. He chewed it a bit, and found himself unimpressed. Not that it really mattered, his plan had only been to see if she would get close enough to hand him something.

"Morals are..." A tricky one certainly, his voice trailed off as he wondered how to explain it to her. "Something you believe in, I guess. Personal rules. The kinds of rules you would feel bad about breaking, even if you made them yourself."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Winter was not the best time for foraging or tasting nature at its most raw. Mostly poisonous things were well equipped in this time of year with certain strains of holly bearing spiked leaves and dangerous berries appearing like an oasis in drought. She continued to eat the apple as he tried to explain morals to her, something that sounded opinionated at best. Predators had conflicting morals, with the rare report of a beast killing a mother and caring for the orphaned child... many only killed as necessary for food or securing territory as far as she were aware. Elsewhere in the world there were birds, storks, that went around culling thousands of newborn flamingos or the unhatched eggs with their parents dolefully standing by. They didn't kill to eat.... and that would have horrified Faereni had she known it were possible, though like the victimized parents she would likely accept it as nature's will. After all, with millions in a flock, they would strain their own food sources if all were to live.

She eyed him as she fabricated her response, chewing away. She was having trouble putting her thoughts into sentences again, and would eventually give up as she traded for something else entirely. He warned her about men over beasts, and while he meant it in a different way, she was well aware of the dangers hunters posed over predators. Hunters designed traps... they altered the forest to create blinds and tree huts to catch them unaware... things she had been able to see more effectively than her brethren, despite her eyesight being relatively the same. "Herd does not see the flat tree branches."

Some times, the birds would alert them. Some times, like pheasants, the birds were too quick to flee and the deer would ignore them... like villager's stories of Peter and the Wolf.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:39 pm

"Tree stands? I heard deer don't usually look up. It works well, then?" He looked up at the trees at the edges of the clearing,  trying to see things as a deer might see. He knew their eyes were more situated to the horizon, so if they got too close to the base of a stand, he supposed they wouldn't notice very often.

"But that isn't why, hunters are one thing, but I doubt any man would try and kill you. No, they'd probably do worse, seeing as you're...definitely unique. Back to the money topic, they'd see you worth as much as..." What could he relate to currency's worth, that she could understand? Food, he supposed. Safety. "More than thousands of safe, well-fed seasons. You've seen the brands- burn marks on cows, haven't you? Once you've got one, you're considered property to them. Not like them. A slave. Ben has two brands, you know?"

He said it as if only Ben had them, as he hadn't yet noticed his own in the short while he'd appeared in the world. He knew he was terribly scarred, yes, almost certainly a slave in his past life, (if he had been taken from somewhere else) but the four brands on his own back varied in shape and size, and there was no way to clearly see his own back other than water or touch-and-guess.

But Ben knew, and at the moment, he was waking up, making no attempt to be quiet any longer as he shifted in his fort. He thought himself in a bit of a fix, not wanting to accidentally run the deer girl off for Zhaki's sake, but his boredom arising within his spot's cold white walls.

Boredom, as Faereni had been victim to before, was not a good thing for the wolfman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:59 pm

"Trees stand." Her brow furrowed as she corrected him within her misunderstanding. It was an unintentional joke, as it sounded like to her as if he weren't aware that trees... stood. It was soon forgotten as he had tried to warn her of trappers and poachers of another sort. Her eyes fluttered twice as she thought back on it. She was aware of the decorative scarring on the flanks of cows, finding it amusing and neat that they all had the same one. They didn't seem bothered by it. Neither did the sheep after a sheering. Those governed herds really didn't fare too badly.

The look on her face didn't look very horrified yet. It sounded like she'd be doing a service for whoever would be safe those well-fed seasons. Her head turned as she tried to look at her own side, turning and twisting slightly as she tried to picture what a flank mark would look like on her before he mentioned that Ben had two brands.

"Two?"

The burns were usually forever, and it only vaguely connected that possessions changed hands, meaning a new brand if applicable. It seemed like that would just ruin the hide they coveted, though? Why do they do it at all then?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:15 am

The corners of his mouth flicked up as she tried to correct him, deciding not to say anything about it. She then twisted around to...what was she doing? He had just opened his mouth to ask if there was something wrong, before making the connection.

"Side? No, they're on his shoulder blades. His back-" His ears pricked up, and he stopped to look over at Ben's fort.

Ben had gotten far too bored to sit quietly, his clawed fingertips then his hand appearing as he dug out a hole in the wall facing them and shoveled the snow away, pushing through the rest and shaking the remaining cold off of himself while sitting in front of his temporary fortress. "Don't mind me, just leaving to take a nap somewhere quieter." He looked up at the two, his gaze settling on Zhaki, then Faereni. There wasn't any sign of him even thinking about another chase, the Wolfman turning his attention away to rub the melting snow off of his face and ears.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Her lids flapped slowly in a blink as it had been mentioned Ben's brands were on his back. She was still baffled that he would have two, but her sensitivity to changes like Zhaki's perky ears and diverted attention drew her to notice Ben shaking off the frosty fluff like someone who had just collided with a fallen pile from a branch above. She wasn't too startled by his rejoining, but the caution was there all the same. It never entirely left, even around Zhaki with whom she had closed the gap in the minimalist sense, far enough away that she couldn't be grabbed but close enough to be relatively conversational, if of course she was chattier than a opossum.

She wasn't too sure what to say to the other man-beast. Zhaki had already predicted the response as accurately as he could, but she still gave the partners a split look, as though expecting them to exchange words given Zhaki had followed him this far. She took the moment to investigate the calm Ben for the aforementioned branding if she could see it from where she stood poised high on her toes. The main sign of her relative comfort was the fact that she had resumed eating the apple, cracking through the skin and meat with a satisfying crunch. Her star-specked eyes drooping peacefully in the most relaxing action prey could take part in.

At least she didn't balk. That was progress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Ben shook the rest of the snow off of him, shaking his head side to side rapidly, as a dog would trying to dry himself. His dark eyes took her in all at once again, the canvas, the pink in her hair and face, her curious antlers and eyes darker than his own, but he was much more interested in teasing Zhaki than taking in every detail, looking between them before giving his partner a sly grin.

"How'd you get her that close?"

Zhaki stuck the tip of his tongue out slightly, between his own grin. "I didn't chase her."

"A reasonable method. Name, lass?" The larger man's attention had fallen back on Faereni, reaching up to rub his jaw, a scratching sound being made as he touched the stubble that so annoyed him. To himself, he added quieter, "she still smells nice, rut this soon?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:04 pm

(Holy, the 8th? How'd I miss this?! So, so, so sorry. No excuses, I was completely around.)

The apple had lasted her a fair while with slow and self-hypnotizing chews. At best an apple even in a rough would take more than a few bites for a full range of core and being an animal at heart she devoured the core as well not minding the cyanide-hosting seeds too small to do much of anything to her. Soft gray-brown ears continued their attentive, but relaxed, flicks and twitching. Her brows lifted with the widening of her eyes as she realized the attention was on her again, she had settled internally on the idea that they would converse for much longer. A few baffled blinks continued to betray her lack of prepared thought as she tried to muster up words to respond with.

"Yes."

She was back to those short responses. Deer were always a little slow on the uptake, choosing the stop-and-stare method of processing things rather than getting out of dodge and lucky for her the moment lacked physical interactions. A little shuffle of her toes in the cold to give away her unease, she wasn't necessarily afraid though the anxiety she built for herself was enough to make her appear so. "Faereni."

Wherever she had gotten the name, whoever had first uttered it decisively to be hers, she couldn't begin to remember. It just was, much like she. Much like the forest and the cycle of days into nights into days. Her attention shifted between the two men: the one that lured her here and gave her an apple, and the runner with the itchy jaw. He seemed different by far since their last meeting but she couldn't quite get her nose on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 pm

(No worries!)

Ben's odd 'aura' seemed to have left him for the time being, his movements much less like a predatory wolf and more like a pet dog off his leash, getting distracted by simple things such as a cloud moving in front of the sun or a dead leaf's fluttering despite how odd it was for the deer girl to be so close to his partner. He had eaten well that day, slept often, and had time to prance about cheerily in his wolfish form, soothing his wilder side and ensuring he kept somewhat calm. The great majority of his day was dedicated to maintaining himself, but the last time he and the deer girl had met, he was low on both food and sleep.

That wasn't to say his wild thoughts and impulses had left him entirely. His gaze still flicked back to her rather than Zhaki, finding her scent pleasant and her dainty, cautious nature oddly intriguing. He had never been so close to what could be considered prey without a mouthful of flesh from it, or at least some struggling as he played with it to ease his own boredom.

He didn't repeat her name out loud as Zhaki had done, but mulled over it in his head. Had he said it, it would have been slightly less pleasant to hear than if the other two had based on his way of speak.

"Nice. I'm sure you know my name already, I bet Zhaki's been talking about me, hm?" He eyed the other man again, trying to rile him up.

Zhaki turned away from Faereni momentarily, wanting to get a little closer so he wouldn't have to speak so loud. He took a step, then looked at the deer girl expectantly, waiting to see if she would follow.

"He won't do anything. Let's go see his brand, I'll show you."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter Forage   

Back to top Go down

Winter Forage
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skald's Song RP :: The World of the Skald's Song :: Uhrwerkstadt-
Jump to: