What story will you bring to the tapestry?
 
HomeCalendarEventsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Character Switch
Name
Pass
News
Events

Share | 
 

 Poormen's Camp

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Poormen's Camp   Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:24 am

The two men had settled around their campfire early that day, their bodies sore and tired from their work. The wind was sharp and cool, but not uncomfortably so. Even for the larger of the two, who could not afford a shirt to wear.

But despite their ragged clothes, their less-than-energetic states and their filty, dirt-smeared skin, the men were in high spirits. Above their fire they roasted the skinless body of a large deer, the scent driving them wild and impatient. Making harsh swishing sounds were the tails that they trailed lazily on the ground, their tall ears pricking up involuntary.

The shirtless man made a soft "Awooo." sound, grabbing their makeshift spit and turning the animal over.

He was a true monster of a man, standing above seven feet tall with muscles to make an ox question it's strength. His skin had the look of one who was once pale, yet tanned and hardened under countless days slaving under a harsh sun. His hair was kept short and had a dull black shine to it, and his eyes were a deep brown. He yawned loudly and scratched his chin, a soft scraping sound being heard as he mumbled something about needing a razor.

The smaller man, though not actually small by any standard, resembled him well. His hair was longer but his skin had the same look, though less extreme. He had a fine face and a mercenary's well-built form, though it was clear who would arise victor should his partner ever decided to turn on him. In his hands he rubbed two coins together, counting and counting them over along with the meager handful he set on the ground, a worried expression on his face. They would have to find work soon, and food as well, before they ran out. His partner's size and strength , they had decided, was more important than shirts and shoes and weapons, those they could do without.

Though it was hard to tell in the dark of the forest around them, the two possessed traits that clearly defined them from human. On the larger one, a well-sized pair of dark, wolf-looking ears, sticking up from his sort mess of hair. Behind him was a short scruffy tail as well, stirring up the brush occasionally. The other's ears were taller, yet similarly placed, with a much longer, tuffed tail wrapped around his side and strewn over his lap.

The men were peaceful in their darkened woods, saying nothing yet both planning on what the next day would bring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleksandr

avatar

Posts : 25
Join date : 2016-12-04

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class1
Agility/Fortitude/Might3/4/41d8/1d10/1d10
Deception/Presence/Persuasion0/1/00/1d4/0
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will0/1/3/30/1d4/1d8/1d8
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve13/14/17

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
WeaponArtifact bladeVersatile, forceful, precise--
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:04 pm

He was done for the day, now, having done more jobs for a local merchant who had accosted him the day he'd arrived here, still dazed and confused. The man had given him a sword, and insisted that it was meant for Aleksandr, and no amount of polite refusal or otherwise declining would shift the man on his desire to pass off the blade. In the end Aleksandr had given up and accepted, if only on the stipulation that he do some work to pay off the sword, he wouldn't just take something he hadn't earned in some way - curiously, the merchant seemed to be expecting that, and so they had reached a sort of agreement. As such he'd been running messages, carrying and lifting inventory, and generally assisting with minor tasks that didn't require business know-how to run. The merchant, who just called himself Asphodel seemed a peculiar one, and the few people Aleksandr had talked to insisted that the man was a canny merchant, but perhaps a little too 'touched' by the Skald, not entirely in possession of his senses...

The thought on the matter was interrupted though as he wandered through the woods - a habit he had picked up recently that he didn't really have a reason for - and found that a camp had been set up. This wasn't here before, he was pretty sure at least, then wondering if he'd stepped off his usual path while he was lost in thought. He came to a dead stop, knowing that you didn't just step in to someone's camp sight lest you surprise them and get a bolt to the chest or something similar, taking a moment to get his bearings so he could extricate himself from the area briskly if he had to.

"Hello...? I'm not here for trouble, I just stumbled on your camp, and would prefer if you didn't fill me with arrows or something, so I'm making myself known."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:31 pm

The larger man's ears perked up, turning to face the stranger who had spoken so suddenly. There was something eerie about him in general, the slow yet fluid way he moved, like the well-decided glide of a predator. There was also the matter of his sheer size, he towered over most men and took more than little pride in it.

"Arrows...?" The man's voice was oddly soothing, paired with a slight tilt of his head.

His partner glanced over as well. "No worries." He yawned and poked the roasting deer with a stick, deciding it was ready enough. He felt he should invite the man over, however...

His partner's prey drive worried him. He could see it in his tensed hands, his toothy grin and tilted head. It seemed no matter how much he favored a person or thing smaller than himself, he would always be hampered by some far-off call for blood, his purest instinct.

But then again, he doubted his partner would make any violent action with food so close and enticing.

"Come join us." It was the larger man who spoke first, seeming friendly in every way besides his chilling...quirk. "And no, we can't afford arrows. Rest assured, you're among friends." He didn't wait to see what he would do, turning his attention back to the animal and tearing a chunk directly off, the extreme heat hardly getting to him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleksandr

avatar

Posts : 25
Join date : 2016-12-04

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class1
Agility/Fortitude/Might3/4/41d8/1d10/1d10
Deception/Presence/Persuasion0/1/00/1d4/0
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will0/1/3/30/1d4/1d8/1d8
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve13/14/17

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
WeaponArtifact bladeVersatile, forceful, precise--
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:44 pm

He regarded them both, robed in the light of the fire, and curiously he mused what had brought them here and why they were outside at this time of year, or any time of year for that matter. Indoors was much better, sometimes even just to be out of the daylight, although he didn't know why he felt that way sometimes. The offer to stay a while was one that he wasn't really interested in taking, but the time by the fire for a little while would be gratifying, so he decided to take them (or at least one of them, the other was quiet so far) up on that much.

"Thank you... I have not seen this camp here before... Are you New here?"

He inquired, wondering if they were native to the land, or had popped up like he had, like many people did, the working of the Skald apparently, bringing people here to new lives to be part of his grand design, whatever that was. Aleksandr had woke up here, found one of the 'gift packages' that were scattered around, and got himself situated enough to find the settlement. It seemed like it had happened moments ago really, faint nostalgia washing over him as he stared at the fire.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:19 pm

"You could certainly say that!" The larger one chuffed around his mouthful of roast, facing away from the man in some oddly similar gesture to manners. He glanced back over when he was finished, pointing at the rest of the deer despite it still being partially engulfed in flames. "So, you gonna have a bit or-"

"We don't know, is the better answer." The smaller man sighed and raised a bottle to his lips, the liquid inside smelling sharp, like alcohol or herbs. "I woke up in a pile of dirt and filth- ah yes, didn't that bring back a bit of a past I don't remember?- and met Ben there," He gestured the bottle at his partner. "After a day or two. Bloody bastard tried to mug me, he did..."

'Ben' grinned softly. "Tried to kill you, actually. Then mug you. Anyhow!" He gave an exaggerated bow towards the newcomer, his intimidating chill still perfectly in place. "Welcome to our poorman's camp. We're perfectly rich in bad jokes, though...Zhaki and I."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

avatar

Job/hobbies : Star-gazing, People watching
Posts : 57
Join date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Though a hunting staple, they were considered ghosts of the forest. Quiet beings seen at twilight hours. While she was technically no deer, she shared many of their traits. Her quiet nature and stillness as much part of her curiosity as it was a part of her defensive measures. She was prey, and that kept her from approaching the voices at the campfire blazing in the dark. One of their own was on the flame, which was warning enough, but she wanted to listen and share in their revelry even if it was only vicariously.

The rut was over, but the herd of does she traveled with still didn't accept her any further than deciding she was not a threat. It was common for the matriarch to chase out young bucks when they became yearlings, and she with her antlers was treated just about the same way. She could travel with them, but at a distance. They were easing up, the peak of which would be-- ironically-- when the fawns had touched ground. Until then, she was alone with or without their presence. It was perhaps for the best that they kept pushing her away from them, however, as she was a little more than simply human-looking. She was pink, sticking out in the forest like an orange among red apples. Her peach-fuzz fur had the tint of rose' wine, fading into a dust brown that was speckled white like the spots of a fawn at certain areas. The effect appeared on her cheeks, shoulders, and part of her bottom where her short tail of the same brown emerged. She was a modest creature, having taken cue of humans and their outfitting by wrapping herself in one of their abandoned tent canvases and rope. She had witnessed the care packages both in placement and in use, but her antlers made it difficult for her to achieve any success in mimicry.

Cotton-candy colored hair bounced on her shoulders as she tilted forward around a tree, her wrists and ankles brushing up against wayward sticks and leaves, releasing that alluring scent she was unaware of-- a smell that advertised her presence and made her sneaking rather dubious in success. Her furry ears large and open at the side of her head, widening her otherwise willowy and lissome figure, ever alert and focusing on their conversation. She understood them, though her ability to comprehend was an entirely different story, with humans having multiple words for the same thing or the reverse, with multiple meanings for one word, making it an absolute maze to follow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:51 pm

'Zhaki's' ears perked up at the scent. He had been fairly certain there was something creeping at the edge of their detection for awhile, yet decided to ignore it to be polite to their...guest, he supposed. He took another swig of his bottle, not wanting whatever was there to notice his sudden attention.
Ben did the same, finishing up his bow and settling back comfortably. He took another piece of their roast, his ears swiveling lazily at the surrounding area for another sound.
His predator instincts were going off, and he made no attempt to calm them. The rush of a chase well ran, a kill well done...it tempted him, and he almost allowed himself to anticipate it. Whatever was lurking by the trees and teasing his inner beast with that wonderful scent would surely stay in danger despite the abundance of food that already lay near his feet. He looked up at his partner in a silent warning, his jaws salivating slightly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleksandr

avatar

Posts : 25
Join date : 2016-12-04

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class1
Agility/Fortitude/Might3/4/41d8/1d10/1d10
Deception/Presence/Persuasion0/1/00/1d4/0
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will0/1/3/30/1d4/1d8/1d8
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve13/14/17

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
WeaponArtifact bladeVersatile, forceful, precise--
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:16 pm

"Ah, yes... From what I've learned, people just sometimes... Appear here. No one knows why, but if you ask all the storytellers and religious types, they'll tell you the Skald willed it, that we were yanked from another place or another life, or perhaps after we died... Either way, this is where we end up, at the Skald's will."

He shrugged his shoulders broadly, not knowing what to believe, but knowing that the natives certainly believed this, and given how people popped up and took the care packages, the evidence was rather convincing. He'd accounted for thieves and the like, but everything in the packages was of no value, and surely the shop attendants would recognise such items being sold back to them? There was no way to make quick money off it, which brought Aleksandr back around to thinking there must be something to this creation myth of the Skald. Asphodel was a very strong adherent to the story of the Skald, and spent a lot of time telling Aleksandr about him, her, or it.

"The people are pretty good, and they are good at recognising people who have just... Arrived, so they will likely help you if you ask them, if you've need of anything."

He listened to the explanation from the smaller man of the two, and cocked a brow at the information revealed, now slightly regretful that he had told them the people were good, if such a meeting was considered acceptable. He assumed the people of this world could look after themselves, but they had all been so accommodating that something rather protective stirred in him, the feeling strong, but nostalgic, like it had been a long time since he had felt it. He didn't have time to examine it though, feeling the strange tension in the area. He was a human, but humans weren't so far from beasts that they couldn't feel some things, and now he felt like he should be more watchful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

avatar

Job/hobbies : Star-gazing, People watching
Posts : 57
Join date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:56 pm

Skald. She had heard of that one, though her knowledge was perhaps only a fragment better than Aleksandr's when it came down to it. A native of the forest, she and the deer did not have an organized religion to follow, only vaguely aware of their own tales that intermingled with those that preyed upon them. Her favorite of these stories was that of the Prince of the Forest, the great white stag that became the moon. There were also talks of the appearances he spoke of, the animals were no less surprised when there was suddenly a person trapped in a tree or looking dazed in the middle of nowhere. They treated them like any other, really. Perhaps that was the will of The Skald too; for these strangers to feel not as estranged as they really were.

She kept to her place tight up against the tree, her fingers delicately holding on to the bark now as she leaned. Faereni couldn't really see them, her eyes' focus a little offset by the flames, but she could hear them amid the crackle of fat and wood. Her ears twitched, chasing off a stubborn bug that persisted after until she swatted it away with the fingers of one hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Zhaki ignored Ben's need for the chase, simply giving him a 'don't kill anything for now' look. He then turned back to their guest. "The Skald, eh? Not too sure about those stories, but if it isn't something's will or an odd phenomenon, then what is it? And why have I not seen any of my own race, whatever it may be?" He raised the bottle again, but stopped halfway, seemingly remembering something. "Oh, excuse my manners!" He held out a hand to shake, leaning slightly to reach him from his sitting position on a log. "What's your name? My name is Zhaki...Kojack. Kodiak?" He thought for a bit, then shrugged it off, continuing. "And that oversized dog is Ben. Don't worry about him trying anything stu-"

It was at that point that Ben decided to find whatever was outside the camp. He stood and tipped both men a small, two-fingered salute. He then turned away and made his way into the trees, far enough away to keep it from fleeing, but close enough to make him shudder in anticipation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleksandr

avatar

Posts : 25
Join date : 2016-12-04

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class1
Agility/Fortitude/Might3/4/41d8/1d10/1d10
Deception/Presence/Persuasion0/1/00/1d4/0
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will0/1/3/30/1d4/1d8/1d8
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve13/14/17

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
WeaponArtifact bladeVersatile, forceful, precise--
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:43 pm

"The people make a very convincing argument, and the strangeness of the thing itself of course... I do not remember anything prior to arriving in this place, it is only the word of the people that live here that gives any sense to it at all. As to more of your people, whoever they are... I don't know, but chances are, if one has been through the land, someone in town will know - I think some of them have taken to cataloging the races that come through as a sort of pass-time."

He met the formality of greeting easily enough, stepping forwards to cover the gap a little more as he shook the man's hand and listened as he seemed to be unsure of how to refer to himself... Aleksandr's memory hadn't been that bad when he appeared here, perhaps it was a head injury, or some other problem? Not his business either way, he supposed, best not to pry.

"My name is Aleksandr Arathos, a pleasure."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

avatar

Job/hobbies : Star-gazing, People watching
Posts : 57
Join date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:54 pm

Movement was more readily seen by her, causing her to tense as she saw the group rearrange itself. Aleksandr getting closer and Ben drifting away. She watched that one, knowing well enough the tactics of pack hunters. It wasn't fool proof, but she was sure either that one was meant to try and circle behind her or distract her from the pack. Her ears twitched in opposite directions as she listened to both areas at once. Or perhaps Ben was removing himself for more private reasons, as she had also known travelling groups to do.

She sidled to the farther side of the tree, just in case an kept herself poised on her toes, heels high and ready for a springing movement if need be. Her chin bobbed in his direction, taking a whiff in attempt to sort out the scent. But the burn of wood and meat hampered that enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:37 am

Zhaki nodded, gesturing for Aleksandr to sit down. "I'll have to ask about that tomorrow, but what I meant was different." Whistling slightly, he rolled a smaller log under his foot. "Paired with all the sudden appearances, if I find none of my own race-- and Ben definitely doesn't count, I have no idea what he is, though similar to myself-- then the possibility of an almighty Skald becomes much higher."

"In that case," Zhaki glanced back up at Aleksandr, a more serious look on his face. "He may have made a mistake with Ben."

Ben's ears were pricking up in the outsider's direction, the rest the him preparing to give chase at any sudden moves. He was a bit torn between two choices, his instinct's and his own reasoned want's. He could certainly catch whatever it was quicker if he gave in to the ache that hampered his body. Or, he could stay the way he was, and remain gentle enough to bring whatever it was back to Zhaki.

Two choices for one chase. Ben gave in. He looked in the outsider's direction and said, "Head start."

He got an instant headache, a great pain rising and crying from his very bones as they shifted and turned and rearranged themselves into what called him, what his blood so proudly contained. The outsider, as Ben had stated, did have a head start, as it would take Ben at least another twenty seconds to be ready to chase without injuring himself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleksandr

avatar

Posts : 25
Join date : 2016-12-04

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class1
Agility/Fortitude/Might3/4/41d8/1d10/1d10
Deception/Presence/Persuasion0/1/00/1d4/0
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will0/1/3/30/1d4/1d8/1d8
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve13/14/17

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
WeaponArtifact bladeVersatile, forceful, precise--
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:12 pm

((I would have responded sooner, but it was deadline season for university, so I've been mad busy, sorry about that))

He smiled faintly and shook his head at the offer to sit, not really wanting to while he was getting this vague sense of unease. It was rude really, the man was offering some hospitality, he knew that, but something was just... Off, and he couldn't figure out why or how the feeling was persisting.

"I'm good thank you, I like to stay on my feet. Usually this time of day is when I go do some exercise, I feel twitchy if I'm idle for too long. There probably is a Skald from what I have seen, but the question is bigger than I am interested in thinking about - if it does exist, then nothing I do makes much difference. If it doesn't, the same still mostly applies, I'll just keep on doing what I was doing..."

He lapsed in to silence as he considered what Zhaki said about his companion of sorts - maybe that was what was making Aleksandr feel on edge? He considered the notion more seriously now, keeping the bulky figure in the corner of his eye as he responded to the more amiable of the two.

"The old merchant I work for insists there are no mistakes, or not like we understand them. You can't truly appreciate the sunlight without some rain, or some thing in that vein, at least. Everything is a saga, or a song, or... I forget the exact example now, but broadly speaking, the Skald apparently likes to mix things up so it doesn't get stagnant."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

avatar

Job/hobbies : Star-gazing, People watching
Posts : 57
Join date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:12 pm

She wasted a good ten of those seconds with her attention pinpointing the man as he worked through his transformation. She didn't understand what he meant, not in words, at least, and it took a moment for her curiosity to be overridden by her instincts. When they did, however, it was clear what she was made of. Standing still deer have been known to clear eight feet. The young woman, mostly leg in design, was easily three quarters of that not including the branching bone antlers from her skull. When the sense of danger kicked in she was off like a bullet from a gun, her heels touching the forest floor before springing up again, adding to her motions as she set off with a healthy head start with a leap into the double digits of length, even better had she left when he suggested she should. Her speed from then on was that of an average car in the city, despite the need to weave through the thicket and trees.

But she was not quite all deer in her understanding, there were traits of her that were different than the full animal brethren. Her eyes were predatory, seated close on her face rather than to the sides and her tactics were a little different, or probably equally as "mindless prey" as predators would believe her to be. Instead of running away she ran around, creating a wide arc around the camp site. Quick as a whirlwind or more accurately a car in a city, she very much intended to either stir up any awaiting pack mates from their hiding spots, causing a premature ambush... or simply putting an obstacle between her and the one likely chasing right this breath. This run was not quiet in the slightest, either as she made no extra effort to avoid foliage (save ones that would catch her antlers), and unseen her tail was flagged in warning to any other 'prey' in the area that this section was danger central. That something was actively on the prowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:39 pm

"Right." Zhaki nodded and took another drink, finishing up the last of the bottle and setting it neatly beside his feet. He seemed a bit tense knowing Ben was after the outsider, subconsciously tapping his teeth over his thumbnail as he half-heartedly thought of what to say next. He'd seen the look in his partner's eyes, that same animalistic light he'd seen before a monster by the same scent had dropped some shredded creature before his feet. Granted, the chance that Ben would actually attack a sentient was low...at the time. They needed as many potential sources of work as possible.

Within the twenty seconds he had estimated, Ben had twisted and tugged from a hulking man to a dusky brown beast. On all fours his head reached a five-and-a-half foot mark, his body solid and built for both speed and power. Glistening teeth shone bright as his great jaws parted and he lowered himself down, muscles bunching, two-inch claws digging into the ground as he prepared himself for a leaping start that shook the nearby ground. In a single jump he had cleared just over two-thirds of his prey's, his paws quickly eating up the distance between them

Though he knew it was mostly an exercise. Just as a normal lone wolf or a single lion cannot take down an average deer or zebra, Ben could not run down a less-than-average person single-handedly. For that same reason, he raced near her left side rather than directly behind her, not wanting to risk a brutal kick to the face.

Zhaki's ears pricked up at the sounds of crashing, less from what he assumed was Ben, the bulkier shadow flashing across his line of sight. He groaned and pressed his palm up to his forehead, foreseeing a bit of trouble that might come his way soon. "Good...Skald?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleksandr

avatar

Posts : 25
Join date : 2016-12-04

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class1
Agility/Fortitude/Might3/4/41d8/1d10/1d10
Deception/Presence/Persuasion0/1/00/1d4/0
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will0/1/3/30/1d4/1d8/1d8
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve13/14/17

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
WeaponArtifact bladeVersatile, forceful, precise--
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:09 pm

He had taken note of the transformation, but it had not made much impact on him - he'd seen all kinds of strange things, and the merchant kept telling him that not everything that appeared in the world was even approaching normal. He had gone on and on about a being of ill omen until Aleksandr had felt like the merchant himself was that individual... Not that he'd pointed it out of course, because the eccentric old man had given him a livelihood. He felt though, that this conversation was coming to a close, as he couldn't stay much longer, and he had to get this sword back to the merchant - he insisted Aleksandr wander around with it on his person, but he felt much better when he returned it to the merchant's stores each evening.

"I have things to get back to, thank you for your time and letting me stand by the fire for a while. You might be careful about what your friend does, many heads line the lodges of hunters, they might mistake him for a nuisance if they don't know what he is. Or possibly, something bigger and hungry might find him, there are a lot of things in the world, I'd not want to meet a lot of them. Take care, Zhaki...Kojack, Kodiak."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

avatar

Job/hobbies : Star-gazing, People watching
Posts : 57
Join date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:30 pm

The forest was home and provided her many advantages. He may have had equal speed and perhaps more strength, but his bulk wouldn't help him where the bob and weave around trees. Her stamina for running was great, built to flee and so the excess path of zigging and zagging would do little to hamper her. She continued to stay relatively close to the camp in a great arc as part of her attempt to rile up any partners of the predator, in case this was the efforts of a pack.

Her ears flickered, keeping tabs of him as well as her surroundings. If necessary, she could attack... if not from kicks of long legs but the points of antler. Contrary to humans her skull, neck, and spine were quite capable of handling the blunt force of a charge and head butt. His positioning had its perks for him, however, as it encouraged her to veer more to the right in her more subconscious decision making. Occasionally she'd reawaken to this fact and dart left. By now she had them directly opposite of her original spying-point, just on the other side of the camp. Nothing had stirred yet as far as pack mates that she could tell, despite how one within the camp was fixing to leave it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:38 pm

"A nuisance?" Zhaki chuckled, glancing over at Ben. He may have joked about his partner's doggish traits and strong simplemindednes, but it was a fact that the beastman gave him chills. To him he fell far into the less minded areas of uncanny valley, a creature familiar in face, body and speech, that behaved almost human but was not. His race from the small gap between beastman and manbeast, something sinister and unnerving. "Oh, no. They wouldn't be mistaken." Wiggling the tip of his left hand's little finger, he held it up slightly. "And I'll risk this to bet that no average hunter could ever catch that dog. Goodbye, Aleksandr, it was my pleasure."

Ben wasn't any closer to catching the outsider, to his more wild half's frustration. Without a partner, there was no way he could take it down. Although...

His drive had dipped, the restlessness in him dying down as he focused only on running. Finally, he'd seen exactly what he was chasing with the same eyes as anyone. Not just a deer, but a girl as well, one that would most likely make some familiar distress signal if caught or harmed, one that he knew Zhaki would respond to. He slowed a bit, falling behind bit by bit until he was simply trotting after her.

He figured Zhaki might want to take a look at her, her being what appeared to be half beast and half 'human'. Tilting his head, he tried to appear less threatening without the ability to speak or assure her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

avatar

Job/hobbies : Star-gazing, People watching
Posts : 57
Join date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:31 pm

He had slowed down, but she was not at all convinced. Her speed and lengthy strides continued the same, giving her a breath of distance as she continued to try and circle the camp her curiosity continuing to keep her near rather than as far away as interest would take them. So far none of the pack was taking the bait. They were either well steadfast in their positions or she had not crossed as near as she thought. That is, until one casually stepped out of camp causing her to abruptly double back on her own path as Aleksandr took to leaving. Deer themselves were swift and seemingly could turn on a dime-- it was more true for her as she twisted on her toes and having half as many feet to worry about turning around. It didn't matter that the man wasn't coming after her, she had been successfully diverted off track and realized a second too late that she'd be face to face with Ben by doing this she lowered and shook her pink-topped head to remind him about the threat of her antlers... despite her being angled to zip past him with a taunting closeness.

In her prey-mind it was as good as being surrounded. Never mind that no one was actually behind her and closing in opposite of Ben, she couldn't see that. Unlike her counterparts, her eyes were not set wide enough on her skull to get that ability. She did, however, have excellent depth perception by comparison... and when you were made to butt heads with another, the game of Chicken was not something you shied from.

Ben would now have an excellent sight of her and the details that built her. Given the chance to stare more details would have been apparently. It wasn't just the fact that she was similar to him-- between animal and human-- but her coloring was off too and not the lingering scent that drew lines to her wherever her wrists and ankles brushed against.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:46 pm

She had paused, and her hesitation drew forth an unexpected whine from Ben's jaws. He shook his head violently, trying to clear the murderous fog that screamed in his head to take advantage of the situation. Had the thought of Zhaki allowing him one of his favorite drinks as a reward for bringing back the outsider not crossed his mind, he certainly would have.

The threat of her antlers didn't seem to phase him in the slightest. There were times- in the past life he didn't remember- that he had been shot full of dozens and dozens of primitive-age bullets, or been forced to kneel under the blade of a guillotine. Despite having no recollection of these events, his mind was still numb to the thought of danger, pain and death, a lasting result of his old, outlaw way of living.

He tilted his head once again, licking his chops. How to assure her...

A thought came to mind, and he groaned inwardly. Well, it seemed his partner's teasing had some use after all...

Ben flipped onto his back. 'Rolled over' he supposed, like a dog. Funny, he had never hated the  little creatures up until that point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

avatar

Job/hobbies : Star-gazing, People watching
Posts : 57
Join date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:15 pm

She didn't really pause before so much as spun around to the opposite direction, but when she was all prepared to knock him aside with her charge-- he collapsed and she skid to a startled halt. Faereni's mind worked quickly through the various explanations. Was he submitting? Convulsing? No, he had to be distracting, there was that person behind her (not), after all. Instinct urged her sideways and so the flighty deer was on a new arc around the contorted beast-man and his display.

The deer's ears twitched, flicking as she took in the sounds around her. The crackle of the nearby campfire reminded her of her positioning... and that there had been another voice in the mix that had yet to show themselves. This pack was incomplete, the ambush could still occur. Keep moving, she reminded herself... and so she did, much to Ben's irritation no doubt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:17 pm

Ben was -in fact- irritated beyond measure, snapping his jaws together with a loud click. He rolled back onto his paws, flicking his ears in annoyance as he watched her go.

He wanted to continue his attack. He was a creature of great stamina, having tested his limits several days before. Still, Zhaki was in charge of their funds, and though the wolf didn't require anything besides his own teeth and claws, there were several...luxuries, he supposed, that he enjoyed beyond responsibility. Harming the outsider would surely bring on Zhaki's punishment.

"Oi! Ben!" Zhaki tsked from his spot by the fire, grabbing another bottle and cracking off the wrap around the cap. He could see the quickest glimpses of the thing- no -person he had been chasing, but in the end decided there was nothing he could do without further alarming him-slash-her. Drat, that scent it gave off was enticing.

"Get back over here, you stupid dog. Just 'cause I'm talking to others don't mean you can harass people." His proper way of speech had fallen away, reverting back to what sounded like a lower-city cant, improper- but still somewhat respectable. "Come 'ere, you can have a juice."

Ben's ears pricked up, immediately trotting back to Zhaki without a second thought. It seemed he was getting one of his luxuries anyways. Apple juice over pride, he truly was a man of simple pleasures.

Zhaki glanced over in the direction of the outsider, taking an extra bottle from their pile out just in case. "You're fine." He raised his voice a bit. "He won't try anything. He just wanted a run and a treat."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faereni

avatar

Job/hobbies : Star-gazing, People watching
Posts : 57
Join date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Faereni couldn't emphasize too heavily with Ben's knowledge of luxury. The only human extra she possessed was the sheet that had been haphazardly bunched up and tied with messy knots to her figure in some semblance of of a smock or dress. It was not due to a sense of modesty, but rather the practicality and mimicry of the humans that she had seen, their ingenious way of carrying things when their figures were not designed to by default-- unlike particular rodents who could shove their cheeks full of stuff. Humans were fascinating in that way.

She kept her distance to them as she did this camp, now further away than when she started pre-chase. Internally she knew she should continue on home while the beasts were regrouping, but one was missing as memory told. The words Zhaki had said also gave her reason to pause. Just a run, a treat.

Her ears flickered with great concern, and she said nothing in response. They'd be able to tell she was around well enough, though her exact whereabouts a little muddled from the wild goose chase that had transpired. Her scent was designed to linger, to advertise to patrolling bucks that an available doe had crossed his territory... though she had never been pursued by her 'brethren' to be aware of this trait of hers and the uniqueness to each nose kept her a secret of the forest thus far, with hunters and travelers who had caught whiff of her passing it off as the wind blessing them or teasing them.

Fuchsia eyes searched the area for that missing third pack mate, unaware that he wasn't part of them, that he had left and wasn't just trying to circle around and set her up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodiak

avatar

Job/hobbies : Sellswords, beasts of burden.
Posts : 64
Join date : 2016-12-02

Character Sheet
Attributes:
AttributesScoreDice
Level/ class
Agility/Fortitude/Might
Deception/Presence/Persuasion
Learning/Logic/Perception/Will
Alteration/Creation/Energy
Entropy/Influence/Movement
Prescience/Protection
Guard/Toughness/Resolve

Gear:
GearNamePropertiesBanesDefense bonus
Weapon
Armour
Weapon 2
Armour 2

Magic/Skills:

PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Zhaki continued staring off in her general direction, deep green eyes looking curious as he flicked an ear. He felt a little bad for allowing Ben to run rampant, rubbing his jaw as he considered what to do next. Calling out didn't seem to do anything, and he believed the best course of action would be to simply leave the outsider alone. However...if the outsider had truly wanted to get away, then why could he still smell that pleasant, moving scent?

He glanced over at Ben. The wolfman had settled down to enjoy his juice, grabbing the top of the bottle between his teeth and tipping his head upwards to drain it. The outcome was exactly as expected, gravity simultaneously dropping the neck of the bottle down his throat and the juice inside choking and drowning him a bit, making him drop it and cough violently.

Yup. Same Ben as always.

He took Ben's spare shirt. He'd received the article in his little care package, but there was no possible way the medium-sized shirt would fit his bulky figure. Zhaki had thought he spotted horns or antlers of some sort, as well as odd-looking clothing, like it was simply wrapped around the outsider's figure. The shirt had buttons in the front, which he hoped would resolve that issue. He took Ben's extra pair of pants as well and folded them up, wrapping a bottle of juice and a bit of their meager supply of bread and cheese.

Then he took both and headed in her direction. He kept his head down and slightly turned to the right, moving slow before stopping halfway and setting the bundle down. "This isn't to bait you, you can take it after we fall asleep for break camp, if you want. Or you could join us." He waited a bit before adding awkwardly, "That...uh, scent you've got is nice, by the way. But it's noticeable." He turned and headed back to the fire with a bit more speed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Poormen's Camp   

Back to top Go down
 
Poormen's Camp
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skald's Song RP :: The World of the Skald's Song :: Uhrwerkstadt-
Jump to: